Introduction and benefits
There are many benefits from adding white or coloured dots to the outside of glass including:
- reduce solar heat gain, glare, UV radiation and air conditioning costs inside buildings;
- incorporate colour and signature architectural features to building facades;
- privacy to people inside;
- increased glass manifestation including a reduction in bird collisions; and
- a screen for digital projections on the side of buildings.
However, white or coloured dots disrupt the see-through experience from inside the building, making the outside world appear milky and grey. The secret of Contra Vision is being able to print a second layer or dots exactly on top of a first layer without any discernible overlap. This means the opaque dots can be black on the inside which is much less noticeable to the eye. The black dots absorb rather than reflect light and are dominated by the view through the window.